Call Today: (801) 507-1950 / Fax: (801) 507-1951
5063 South Cottonwood Street, Building #7, Suite 400, Murray, Utah 84107 Get Directions

Bleeding? Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding and When to Talk to Your Doctor

· Health, Womens Health · No Comments

When do you need to talk to your doctor about vaginal bleeding?

The short answer, anytime!

Absolutely, if you are past menopause and you bleed, you should talk to your doctor. If you’ve just started a new method of birth control and have unpredictable bleeding, be patient. Most new methods of birth control can take some time to adjust to.

Sometimes it is a sign of pregnancy, so always take a pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy first. If your bleeding is persistent after 2 or 3 months, that’s a good time to check in with your doctor.

Besides birth control, common causes include uterine polyp, pregnancy, cervical changes, vaginal infection, trauma, hormonal fluctuations, and thyroid abnormality.

According to The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:

When is bleeding abnormal?

Any of the following situations is considered :

  • Bleeding or spotting between periods
  • Bleeding or spotting after sex
  • Heavy bleeding during your period
  • Menstrual cycles that are longer than 38 days or shorter than 24 days
  • “Irregular” periods in which cycle length varies by more than 7–9 days
  • Bleeding after 

What tests may be needed to diagnose?

Based on your symptoms and your age, other tests may be needed. Some of these tests can be done in your ob-gyn’s office. Others may be done at a hospital or surgical center:

  • Ultrasound exam—Sound waves are used to make a picture of the pelvic organs.
  • Hysteroscopy—A thin, lighted scope is inserted through the vagina and the opening of the cervix. It allows your ob-gyn or other health care professional to see the inside of the uterus.
  • Endometrial biopsy—A sample of the endometrium is removed and looked at under a microscope.
  • Sonohysterography—Fluid is placed in the uterus through a thin tube while ultrasound images are made of the inside of the uterus.
  • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)—An MRI exam uses a strong magnetic field and sound waves to create images of the internal organs.
  • Computed tomography (CT)—This X-ray procedure shows internal organs and structures in cross section.

If you are experiencing abnormal bleeding give us a call to set up an appointment today!

Follow us on Instagram for more posts and information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.